The Glen Brittle hut offers mountaineers comfortable and well-equipped accommodation in a splendid setting. See our bookings page for more information about who can book the hut and how to do so.
Glen Brittle by Carbost
Isle of Skye IV47 8TA
Telephone 01478 640216 (please note this is not for booking the hut)
Ordnance Survey map sheet 32: South Skye, NG412216
The hut has a spacious downstairs, including dining and seating area with stove. There is a well-equipped kitchen with two ovens/hobs/microwaves and food storage space in an adjoining pantry area (three large fridges and a freezer). Tea towels and washing up and cleaning supplies are provided. Water is by a private supply with a filter/treatment system. There is a small but very efficient drying room.
The hut sleeps 20 in four upstairs bedrooms (3 x 6-bed rooms and 1 x 2-bed room). These are all bunk beds apart from two trundle beds. The beds are not numbered. Mattresses and pillows (with wipe-down covers) are provided. Bring your own sleeping bags/bed linen.
A unisex bathroom area on the ground floor has three separate electric shower cubicles, four toilets (one suitable for ambulatory disabled) and three cubicles with a wash hand basin in each. Toilet paper is provided.
Heating is by a combination of electric radiators (with a time restriction) and a stove in the living room. Fuel for this is provided but bring your own kindling, fire lighters and matches. Please do not use logs and on no account should wood be cut or taken from the local area.
There is a landline due to the variability of mobile phone reception and to help in particular in emergencies. Telephone 01478 640216. If you use it for other purposes please make a donation towards the cost. Mobile reception may be possible depending on your network if you walk up and down the road/hill! There is no Wifi.
- no dogs in the hut or grounds.
- the hut is in the middle of a working farm so keep the gate shut, do not disturb farm animals and watch out for sheep on the road.
- parking in the hut’s car park is tight so keep the number of cars in your group to a minimum and park with consideration for other hut users as well as for locals.
- no bike shed but a small covered area.
- general waste is collected by Highland Council from the green-lidded bins outside the hut early on Tuesdays once every two weeks. The blue-lidded recycling bins are emptied on the other week. There is no glass collection at present – please take this home with you or to a public collection point in Broadford, Sligachan or Portree. We are not able to successfully manage a composting system for food waste. Do not leave uneaten food in the hut unless it is useful and non-perishable such as salt, cooking oil etc.
- the Mountain Rescue has a base nearby but if necessary you should make space available to the rescue team, as well to mountaineers requiring emergency assistance.
- it is a strict condition of use of the hut that you leave it thoroughly clean and ready for the next party. All necessary cleaning equipment is provided, as well as a list of what needs doing before your departure. Let the bookings secretary know as soon as possible if the previous group has not cleaned the hut and also of any breakages, if there is anything missing, as well as suggestions for how we can improve the hut.
- please respect the privacy of local residents and keep noise from the hut to a minimum, especially at night.
- the nearest place for meals out is Carbost, otherwise Sligachan. There is a small shop in Carbost, larger shops and supermarkets in Broadford, Portree and Kyle. The Glen Brittle campsite shop has some essential supplies and coffee (not open all year).
- the hut is c12km from Carbost via a single track road. The Glasgow-Uig bus stops near Sligachan from where it is a 19km walk via an off-road path along the foot of the mountains, rejoining the road near for the final few km to the hut.